Each Monday through Friday, a Travel Gem of the Day will be posted at SmartWomenTravelers.com. These Travel Gems are tips that will help a traveler travel smarter, safer, handle home issues, be prepared and enjoy their journeys.
Here are last week’s Travel Gems:
Monday April 19th – When traveling without a rental car and you would like to go out to dinner, ask the hotel if their van can drive you to a local restaurant. They will also pick you up at a designated time. Even if you have a rental car, this is an easy way to have someone else drive you who knows where they’re going – and usually for just a nice tip to say “Thanks”.
Tuesday April 20th – Skin soother great when traveling: Soak a clean washcloth in cold milk and place it over your face for 10 minutes. The milk will help reduce redness and calm irritated skin. The lactic acid in the milk exfoliates, so your skin will look soft and glowing.
Wednesday April 21st – How do you protect yourself from the dry air on a plane? The air is much drier than desert air, and will dehydrate your system, so here are ways to be more comfortable and fight the dryness:
- Drink plenty of water. Although you can request water from your flight attendants, it is a good idea to bring plenty of water on board with you. You may either purchase bottled water once you pass security or bring an empty bottle with you to fill from a water fountain. (Note: some airports do not allow any liquids to be brought onboard, as I recently found out in Hong Kong.)
- Use eye drops (eye drops may now be carried through security) whenever your eyes feel dry.
- Use saline nasal gel if your nostrils feel clogged up and uncomfortable. Saline nasal gel, found near the nose and eye drop section of a drugstore, can help keep the inside of your nose moist and make breathing more comfortable. Apply in the restroom and wash your hands before and after. You can put it on a cotton swab and coat the inner 1/2 inch of your nasal passages. This really works for preventing your nose from painfully drying out.
- Bring lip balm in a 3 oz or smaller container and use it to protect your lips from becoming painfully dry.
- Bring a small container of hand lotion or cocoa butter if your skin dries easily.
Thursday April 22nd – Travel with a small flashlight. Here’s why a flashlight is so helpful:
- To use in a dark hotel room in case the lights are all out
- To exit down a hotel staircase in the event of a fire alarm
- To locate the electrical outlet attached to your seat on the plane. These outlets are usually down low between your seat and your neighbors and difficult to see.
Friday April 23rd – Keep a travel journal and write about your discoveries, about yourself or about your journey, and always find something fun or enjoyable about a trip.
If you would like a favorite travel tip of yours to be included in the Travel Gem of the Day, email your tip, name and website to firstname.lastname@example.org.