I have a renewed perspective on my busy travel life after this encounter.
I was at my bank the other day opening an account. The financial services advisor I was working with was asking about my business. She asked about the t-shirt I was wearing. “Is that your business?” she asked, pointing to the logo on my shirt. “Yes,” I replied, “Smart Women Travelers is one of my businesses.”
Then came the barrage of questions: What do you do, where do you travel, and what’s your favorite place?
As I kept answering her questions: I help travelers travel smarter, safer and with more enjoyment; I travel all over the world; the Greek Islands are my favorite place, I could see that my new account was going to take longer than I hoped to get set up.
Then she said the words you may also have heard before: “Wow, you really have the dream job!”
My initial thought was “Are you kidding? – I traveled all or part of 50 weeks last year!”
But I didn’t react out loud. I thought about it while she was busy filling out the endless bank forms.
The downsides can be many. I miss:
- Being home at night with my husband.
- Walking our dog around our neighborhood each night.
- Sleeping in my own bed, my full-size bottles of liquid, and my refrigerator full of fresh foods.
- Being able to meet up with friends during the week.
- Having all 7 days of the week to get things done, instead only having 2 or 3 or no days.
Though the upsides are amazing. I have:
- Visited 49 of the U.S. States (tiny Rhode Island is the only one still on the list).
- Been to countries all over the globe.
- Friends in many cities and many countries.
- The opportunity for my husband to often travel with me.
- Stayed in some beautiful hotels, visited breathtaking sites and eaten amazing food.
- Enjoyed wonderful red wines along some of the most beautiful waters on the planet.
- Miles and points sufficient to take my entire family on vacation.
- A refrigerator door full of magnets from most places I’ve been and I’m so grateful every time I look at them.
So yes, I guess I do have the dream job.
It can certainly seem this way from someone else looking in. And it looks that way to me, too!
To receive a free copy of our ebook, 70 Secrets to Safe Travel — Because Your Life Can Change in a Heartbeat, and for more travel savvy info to help you travel smarter, safer and with more enjoyment, visit SmartWomenTravelers.com and PearlsofTravelWisdom.com.