Every time I mention where I’m staying to a local Houstonite, I get “the look.” The look that says “Why are you staying in that area?”
“The look” is inevitable. The raised eyebrow, the look that says I’m crazy. After all, the neighborhood isn’t the greatest. It isn’t one you’d want to be walking around in alone at night.
But then I give them all the reasons why I continue to be a guest at the Hilton Houston Southwest and the look starts to go away.
Reasons such as:
- Consistently clean rooms with consistent maid service
- A concierge lounge host (Noe) who remembers what repeat guests drink, even with a gap of time between stays.
- Free alcoholic beverages in the lounge
- The friendliest staff of people who really care about a guest’s stay
- The obvious effort by management to make up for the negatives (the neighborhood and being alongside the Southwest Freeway)
- Above average bath towels
- Free parking
- Free buffet breakfast in the restaurant for Diamond members
- Security who will meet me at my car (upon my request) and escort me in when arriving or leaving in the dark
- A reasonable Hilton rate
I have stayed at other Hilton properties in the Houston area (Hilton Westchase and Hilton Post Oak by the Galleria) and I prefer the Hilton Southwest. The Westchase had very thins walls and I heard my neighbor on the phone each evening. Their concierge lounge food was minimal. One stay was all it took for me not to visit there again. The Post Oak property has a multi-floor parking garage where I never really felt safe, even though I hear that this property has some of the best security around.
The Hilton Houston Southwest claims to be located in the prestigious Galleria area but that’s a bit of a stretch. The hotel does offer complimentary shuttle service to the Galleria, located about 4 miles away, however. If you want to be able to walk to the Galleria, stay at the Hilton Post Oak. The Hilton Houston Southwest has an outdoor pool though the noise from the traffic keeps me from relaxing poolside. When I travel for business I’m not usually by the pool anyway. Do request a room on the quieter north side of the building if traffic noise is a concern. The fitness center is average with enough equipment to negate any excuse for not working out. Their rooms are somewhat dated though clean. I really wish there was an ottoman to go with the upholstered chair.
I have now stayed at this property at least a half dozen times and will stay again in the future when in Houston. I see several other repeat guests so I’m not the only one who ignores “the look.” Many of the repeat guests are females.
The TripAdvisor reviews are along these same lines and the overall rating is 3 ½ stars.